Friday, November 1, 2013

Sublime Submersion


What's that bubbling out of the waters of Honolulu?

 


It's the Atlantis!  A passenger submarine that runs out of Honolulu.  Now, I have often thought about going into a submarine, but never seriously.  As a surprise, my husband booked us a trip.  Even on the boat ride out, I was thinking, "Yes, well, this will be pleasant."  But as soon as I saw the submarine magically emerging from the ocean, I got little-kid clapping-my-hands-together, hopping-up-and-down excited.  Michael said I got all sparkly-eyed.
  

I got lucky and sat up front next to the tour guide and captain.  Both were very interesting men and told some great, informational stories.  By the way, the captain's chair is actually a very comfortable office chair bolted to the floor.


 In most of my photos, everything appears blue because by 16 ft below surface level, the "warm" colors such as red, orange, and yellow begin to fade.  Contrast and image sharpness also becomes a problem the further we go down.

Water, it seems, is 800 times more dense than air.  By the time we reached 98 ft, all colors except blue will be blocked. 

 This is the view out of my porthole as our shuttle boat drives away.

Waikiki has such white sand that even when we reached our lowest depth of 120 ft, the sunlight was still reflected off the bottom.  All my photos have natural lighting with no flash.
 

Along the trail, were two airplanes and a fishing boat that were put there as artificial reefs for the fish.  At this depth, there were a LOT of big fish.

 A school of triggerfish near a submerged fishing boat.


A green turtle (honu) hanging our on the boat's wheelhouse.





A very big fish hiding out under an airplane wing.  I'm glad Iwas INSIDE the submarine.  Though I am looking a little smurfy.


Rising bubbles mean the end to an absolutely unique experience.  It was not on my bucket list, but, boy!, am I glad I did it.  In fact, two weeks later, I sent my children to ride on the Atlantis.  They had a great time, too.

It was definitely a two thumbs-up experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment